Subscribe to my full feed.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

HowTo: How to quickly increase your Alexa Ranking.

I have recently come across a method to increase your Alexa Ranking. Alexa, if you are not familiar with them or their ranking system, here is a description from wikipedia:

Alexa Internet, Inc. is a California-based subsidiary company of Amazon.com that is best known for operating a website that provides information on the web traffic to other websites. Alexa collects information from users who have installed an "Alexa Toolbar," allowing them to provide statistics on web site traffic, as well as lists of related links.

Alexa ranks websites based off of the information generated by users who have the Alexa Toolbar installed, but what about all the users that do not have the Alexa Toolbar?

What you can do is this, append the following to the beginning of your internal links:

http://redirect.alexa.com/redirect?

For example, click this link, it will redirect you back to this post "http://redirect.alexa.com/redirect?http://blog.itrealm.net/2007/08/...".

Ok, so I have this fancy link, what does it do? Every time one of my visitors clicks that link, they are redirected to this post AND it gets counted as a tally towards my Alexa Ranking. Basically, you are virtually implementing the actions of the Alexa Toolbar, but for every visitor, not just the ones with the Alexa Toolbar.

Since I started using this redirect link on my blog, I increased my rank from 2,600,000 or so to 1,700,000 or so in just 5 days. Not bad huh?

Chris

No comments: