Subscribe to my full feed.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Finding New Work

As I near the end of one project I always begin searching for the next. As I follow the contractors code, I always make sure that the current project that I am working on will provide enough income to support myself and my family for 2 times that duration of the project. This way, I am not rushed to get more work, I can comfortably find more work that I am satisfied with. But when I do go job hunting, there are a couple tools I take out of the shed. In this article I am going to share a few with you.

  • Always stay active on social networking sites like LinkedIn. Your connections may sometimes seek someone out with your credentials. If you have solid, recent recommendations, this can sometimes land you a project you would not have otherwise.
  • Join groups revolving around your specialty. For instance, I am a part of the NYTech Meetup group. Even though I am not in NYC, I find some very useful conversations as well as the occasional request for a programmer. I would most certainly travel the 6 hours for a good contract.
  • Throw your resume up on dice.com, monster, craigslist.org and any other job site that pertains to your specialty.
  • Visit Freelanceswitch.com, they have some excellent advice and articles on finding work, not to mention "The Monster List of Freelancing Job Sites". They even have a section of their blog dedicated to Finding Work.
  • If your problem is lack of portfolio, find someone who needs your services and would gladly accept them for a nominal fee. Once you have a portfolio, some testimonials and credibility, finding that work will be much easier.
  • Develop relationships with people that would be natural referral sources. For instance, if you are a web developer, make friends with graphic designers. If your specialty is SEO, make friends with web developers, etc...
  • Find a reputable consulting firm in your area that contracts most if not all of its employees. The county gig that I am on is actually through one of these firms. Granted, someone else is making money for every hour that I work, but I am still getting the rate that I required.
I hope this information helps.

Chris

No comments: