Subscribe to my full feed.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Windows on Linux??

One of the main things preventing me from going Mac was the inability to run Windows on it. With that obstacle now out of the way with my use of VMWare Fusion I can live a bit more of a windows free life. But then I learned something new that made me even more excited... Windows on Linux!

Lifehacker has posted how you can run a virtual windows installation on your linux box just like how you run virtual windows on your Mac. It is not as easy to accomplish than using VMWare Fusion, but for a techie like me, I am not shy at all.

Over the next few weeks I will grab a spare box and begin my tinkering and will post my results here.

Chris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there any advantage to using VMWare Fusion over Boot Camp?

Chris said...

Yes! One of the best things with VMWare Fusion and Parallels is that you do not need to reboot to run windows based apps. You can run them side by side your mac applications.

One thing that is pretty neat since the release of Leopard, I run my VMWare Fusion Virtual Windows instance in a separate Space using Spaces. So I can easily flip back and forth between my Mac Desktop and my Windows Desktop. I encourage you to download the trial and see for yourself.

Newegg.com is a great place to buy, great prices and quick shipping. Thats where I bought it.

Chris