Subscribe to my full feed.

Friday, March 14, 2008

The US Navy Makes a Much Needed Move

The US Navy announced this passed week that they are no longer going to purchase non-open systems and technologies for their IT infrastructure. This is a bold move, and one that I think is long overdue. I think tax payers deserve to have government agencies make purchasing decisions based on what is best for there agency and its customers, not because of the perks and free meals the sales rep from Microsoft provides you.

I commend government agencies that force users to use office solutions like OpenOffice, StarOffice or google apps. I commend government agencies for building their own servers and workstations and taking the time to load them with FREE Linux / Unix based operating systems.

I hope that more agencies follow in the Navy's lead, its about time that revenue from our hard earned tax dollars is spent more effectively.

You can read the full article at FCW.com.

Chris

No comments: