Subscribe to my full feed.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

HowTo: Backup Mac OS X

I recently sent my laptop in for diagnosis as I was experiencing wireless issues.  They kept the laptop for approximately 20 hours and then called me.  They notified me that the issues were software related and recommended that I did an archive install or a fresh install.  I opted for the fresh install, so here is my backup HowTo / Checklist for Mac OS X Leopard.


Backup Safari Bookmarks:
Backing up Safari turned out to be much easier than expected.

1.  Navigate to /library/safari
2.  Copy the file named bookmarks.plist

Backup Address Book
1.  Choose File --> Export --> Address Book Archive
2.  Choose a name for the file, and select where you want to export the file to.

Backup Mozilla FireFox
1.  Open FireFox.
2.  Choose FireFox --> Advanced -->  Clear Cache Now
3.  Completely exit FireFox
4.  Navigate to /users/(your username)/library/application support/firefox/profiles/
5.  Copy the folder titled xxxxxxxx.default

Backup VMWare Fusion
1.  Navigate to /users/(your username)/documents/virtual machines/
2.  Copy your desired virtual machines from here

Backup iTunes
1.  Open iTunes --> Store --> DeAuthorize
2.  Quit iTunes
3.  Navigate to /users/(your username)/music/
4.  Copy iTunes folder

Backup Command & Conquer: Tiberium Wars
This will backup your maps and saved games, surprisingly enough this was my most important backup :D

1.  Navigate to /users/(your username)/library/preferences/Command and Conquer 3 Preferences/
2.  Copy p_drive

Backup Mail
1.  Navigate to /users/(your username)/library/
2.  Copy Mail
3.  Navigate to /users/(your username)/library/preferences/
4.  Copy com.apple.mail.plist

DONE!  I hope this helps anyone else.

Chris

No comments: