Subscribe to my full feed.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

HowTo: Resolve Norton Installation Errors

I recently attempted to install Norton Internet Security 2007 for a family member. This computer was an old P4 Dell Dimension running Windows XP Home with 512mb ram. It was poorly maintained and the owner was having issues attempting to install and or remove applications.

So I hopped on the machine, ran my standard PC TuneUP. I uninstalled older versions of Norton Internet Security and System Works. I began to install the new version of Norton Internet Security 2007. It took forever only to display error 9999,171. I tried again and same result. So I hopped on Google and found a solution so I am sharing it here.

1. Go to the following link http://symantec.com/autotools. Download the Norton Removal Tool that matches your operating system.
2. Run the tool, it will remove any debree from older versions from of Norton or attempted installs that failed.
3. Reinstall the Norton product that would not install properly earlier.

Now I would not normally recommend Norton Internet Security 2007, but this family member had already paid for a new years subscription. My recomendation is to run the removal tool, and then use another security suite or application like Grisoft's AVG or Eset's Nod32. Couple that with Spybot Search and Destroy and a good router with built in fire wall and you are all set.

Cheers,
Chris

No comments: