Subscribe to my full feed.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Decision Making

I am taking a course called Managerial Decision Making. At first I was thinking that this was going to be a dry course, one with alot of textbook reading, maybe a paper involving a problem that I face and how I found a solution. But, I was deceived, the class is more.

One thing I have taken away from the class is that in order to effectively make difficult decisions, there are a couple of tasks you must accomplish. You must reach state of clarity, you must disregard emotional influences and you must disperse any fear of consequences. When you have effectively made the RIGHT decision, there is no doubt in your decision. Even if you do not reach your desired result, it still may have been the RIGHT decision, because quite frankly your other options may have provided even more undesirable results.

One thing that I will have to modify is what the book The Right Decision Every Time by Luda Kopeikina describes as Death Habit #1: Multi-Tasking. Luda states that when we are multi tasking, our focus is broken up amongst all of the individual things we are working on, so there is no way that you can make an effective decision.

A perfect example of this phenomenon is when you are in the shower or performing some other routine task. You reach a relaxed sense of clarity, then just like lightning striking the earth, you find the solution to a problem that you have been stirring over for months.

I definitely see value in this logic, I also feel confident that Luda is accurate in saying that if well trained on decision making, one can reach clarity in 5 to 10 minutes. I think this is something that would benefit me and I feel I can gain much by practicing the techniques referenced in her book.

Chris

No comments: