Subscribe to my full feed.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Now a Mac User

Recently, my wife Rachel and I were in need of two new laptops. Mine was failing me after two and half years of solid servitude, and Rachel didn't have one. I was going to be getting a new one to replace my Dell Inspiron 6000, Rachel was going to get one because she is going back to school this fall and needed something that she could work on wherever.

I was about to go buy a new dell, probably a Inspiron 1521, until my wife dragged me into the Apple Store. She bought a 13'' MacBook. I was very impressed with the laptop. Now I have encountered Apple Laptops before, my brother once came to me with a G5 MacBook that he had bought from a friend for $50.

This laptop had a bad logic board, it still was under warranty for about 15 days. The owner was fearful that he would get in trouble for all of the pirated software on the laptop, so he did want to send it in to Apple.

By the time it got to me it was completely dissambled, there was no hard drive, no memory, and it was missing two of the 4 foot pads. Luckilly I had an old 30gb laptop hdd and 256mb of memory that fit the laptop. I reassembled it, brought the laptop into Apple. They transfered ownership of the laptop to me for sake of the warranty and then sent it in. I was completely honest with the Apple "Genius", told him it wasn't the original hdd or memory. Told him it wasn't my laptop, but as far as they were concerned, the laptop was still under warranty and they fixed it.

The laptop came back to me with an OS on it and 4 of 4 foot pads. I was impressed. My brother bought the Apple Care on it and extended the warranty 2 more years for $189 dollars(price is for a student).

So up to this point, I was extremely impressed with the quality of service I received and the internal design of the laptop. With the purchase of my wife's laptop, I had the chance to be impressed with the software. Very intuitive design and interface. I thought that I would have a hard time without my right click abilities, but honestly I am over it.

I went and bought an Apple MacBook Pro. I bought it through the Apple Developer Connection and saved $500 off of the retail price.

There is so much that I love about the laptop, like the illuminated keyboard, not having to click "apply" or "ok" to make settings change, the ability to run both Mac OSX and Vista simultaneously. I am never going back to Microsoft as a primary OS.

Chris

No comments: